I got the idea to create this page from this blog. This is a list of the things I want to do in life before it’s over. I know that this list may sound more like a wish list than an actual list of things to do. But hey, what’s the use of dreaming when we’re only thinking of the usual things? I must mention some things that I have achieved just to remind myself. I will update this list from time to time, and feel free to leave me a link to your list so we can compare for new ideas!
Note for March 7, 2020 revision:
How time flies. Some goals are achieved. Some goals are already past its time. Some goals are no longer relevant. Some new goals are in order. From the 2014 revision, here are the changes:
- Retirement doesn’t seem to be so enticing anymore. If I plan to be productive, why wait until retirement? Why not start now?
- I am already 44 year old and no article has been formally published under my name. I don’t think I have the energy to pursue book publishing, regardless what age I am.
- I have visited both The City and Jerusalem and The Great Pyramid of Giza in one trip. Yay! But I still plan to make another visit to Jerusalem.
- I still consider Disney Parks to be the best parks in the world. But I am not so keen to visit every one of them.
- I don’t make trying a certain cuisine to be a goal anymore. Because everywhere I go, there is always new food to try.
- My wife and I will be 45 soon. We sort of agree that we are beyond trying to have a child. We just enjoy our life, take care of our extended family as much as we can. And we love to spoil our nephews and nieces!
From my experience in the past 5 years, I learned that there is no need to set a time limit for a life goal. I was finally able to cross The Great Pyramid of Giza from my list after wanting it for 15 years. So why fuss about the when, when the most important thing is the what?
Life is not a competition. It’s a journey. You will get where you are supposed to be when it is time you get there. It is better to enjoy the view rather than focusing on the milestones. So I am crossing out deadlines from my goals. Instead, I am adding what I have reached so far.
Note for September 26, 2014 revision:
There has been some big changes, and I decided to take bigger responsibilities in my career. I decided to postpone my retirement to give myself time to focus on growing my family business. So naturally, the rest of the major life goals also need to be adjusted.
I also realized that as I get older, my priorities changed. Right now my wife and I are in the process to start a family, and as a consequence in the future there may be less opportunity for us to travel. In addition to that, some goals that used to seem to be a great idea has now become not so interesting anymore. That is why I deleted some items from the list.
Version: March 7, 2020
Major Life Goals
- Work from home or coffee shops
- Publish an article.
- Publish a book
- Open a coffee shop.
- Spend a summer traveling around the world (see below for details of places to visit).
Travels – Sports, Natural And Cultural Events to Attend or See
- The Loi Krathong & Yi Peng Festival, Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Carnival, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Cherry Blossom, Japan – Done! (2017)
- Carnival, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
- Night at The Proms, London, UK
- NBA Games, USA – Done! (2014)
- Baseball Games, Japan
- English Premier League Match, UK
- Classical Music Performance, Vienna, Austria – Done! (2017)
Travels – Landmarks, Manmade and Natural
- The Empire State Building, New York – Done! (2006)
- Taipei 101, Taipei – Done! (2007) (2011)
- Tokyo Tower, Tokyo – Done! (2009)
- Tokyo Skytree, Tokyo – Done! (2015)
- USS Midway Museum, San Diego – Done! (2011)
- San Diego Zoo, San Diego – Done! (2011)
- South Beach, Miami – Done! (2010)
- Nami Island, South Korea – Done! (2018)
- The Space Needle, Seattle – Done! (1999)
- The Public Market, Seattle – Done! (1999)
- Waikiki Beach, Honolulu – Done! (2012)
- Pearl Harbor Memorial, Hawaii – Done! (2012)
- Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route, Japan – Done! (2017)
- Fushimi Inari Taisha, Kyoto, Japan – Done! (2017)
- Kiyomizu Dera, Kyoto, Japan – Done! (2017)
- Whistler, British Columbia – Done! (2008)
- Statue of Liberty, New York – Done! (2010)
- The Great Pyramid of Giza, Egypt – Done! (2019)
- The White House, Washington, DC – Done! (2002)
- Central Park, New York – Done! (2006, 2010)
- Hollywood Walk of Fame, Hollywood – Done! (2005)
- The Great Wall of China
- The Forbidden City, Beijing, China
- Lincoln Memorial, Washington, DC – Done! (2002)
- City of Jerusalem, Israel – Done! (2019)
- The Smithsonian Space and Air Museum, Washington, DC – Done! (2002)
- Peace Memorial Park & Museum, Hiroshima, Japan – Done! (2015)
- Kenroku-En Park, Kanazawa, Japan – Done! (2015)
- Coca-Cola Museum, Atlanta – Done! (2015)
- Iwo Jima Memorial, Washington, DC – Done! (2002)
- Church of Nativity, Bethlehem, Palestine – Done! (2019)
- Schloss Schönbrunn, Vienna, Austria – Done! (2017)
- Palais Versailles, Versailles, France – Done! (2017)
- Eiffel Tower, Paris, France – Done! (2017)
- Kölner Dom, Cologne, Germany – Done! (2017)
- Notre Dame, Paris, France – Done! (2017)
- Wiener Riesenrad, Vienna, Austria – Done! (2017)
- Cheonggyecheon, Seoul, South Korea – Done! (2018)
- Arashiyama, Kyoto, Japan – Done! (2017)
- The Dead Sea, Israel – Done! (2019)
- Sea of Galilee, Israel – Done! (2019)
Travels – Disney Parks Special
- Disneyland – Done! (2005)
- Tokyo DisneySea – Done! (2009, 2015)
- Tokyo Disneyland – Done! (2017)
- Hong Kong Disneyland – Done! (2013)
- Paris Disneyland
- Walt Disney World Florida
Travels – Local Cuisines
Paella at the 7 Portes, Barcelona
Tapas at Quimet & Quimet, Barcelona
1. Have a suburban house – Done! (2011)
Start a family
3. Own a hatchback car – Done! (2011)
4. Have an apartment in the city – Done! (2014)